Mexican-Style Hot Chocolate
- Yield: 12 servings
- Nutrition: See Below
- Prep Time: 15 Minutes
- Cook Time: 20 Minutes
- 10 cups water, divided
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 1 1/3 cups masa harina Mexican corn flour
- 1 (14 oz.) can Eagle Brand® Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 (3.15 oz.) tablets authentic Mexican chocolate drink mix, chopped
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- COMBINE 7 cups water and cinnamon sticks in large saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low.
- PLACE remaining 3 cups water and masa harina in blender container. Cover and process until smooth. Pour mixture through a fine sieve into saucepan containing hot liquid. Return to a boil, over high heat, whisking constantly. Reduce heat to low. Cook until thickened, about 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- STIR in sweetened condensed milk, brown sugar, chocolate drink mix and vanilla. Cook over low heat 4 to 5 minutes or until chocolate is melted and flavors are blended. Remove cinnamon sticks before serving.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1/12 of recipe), Calories 240 (Calories from Fat 30), Total Fat 3g (Saturated Fat 2g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 10mg, Sodium 60mg, Total Carbohydrate 49g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 39g), Protein 4g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 2%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 10%, Iron 6%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.